- 1 How do I get my water heater to light?
- 2 How do you relight a pilot light on a water heater?
- 3 Can you manually light a hot water heater?
- 4 What do I do if my water heater won’t light?
- 5 Can a water heater explode?
- 6 Can I relight the pilot light by myself?
- 7 Why do pilot lights go out on water heaters?
- 8 How long do water heaters last?
- 9 How do you know if you have a bad thermocouple?
- 10 Can you light a pilot light with a lighter?
- 11 How do you light a hot water heater without an igniter?
- 12 Where is the pilot light on an electric water heater?
- 13 How do I know if the pilot light is out on my water heater?
How do I get my water heater to light?
Turn the water heat dial to Low and the On/Off/Pilot dial to Pilot. Then, turn the On/Off/Pilot dial downwards and push the igniter button at the same time. Let go of the igniter button, but keep pressing the Pilot dial downward for around 30 seconds. You should hear a “whoosh” sound when the gas is lit.
How do you relight a pilot light on a water heater?
How to Light a Water Heater Pilot Light
- Open the door/cover over the pilot light access.
- Use a flashlight or a headlamp to find the burner inside.
- Turn the gas knob to “Pilot,” press and hold it down.
- While still holding the gas down, light that pilot.
Can you manually light a hot water heater?
Lighting the Pilot Light on a Manual Hot Water Heater If your hot water heater is a manual, grab a long lighter. Turn the pilot dial to the off position and wait 5-10 minutes for any gas to dissipate. Then, turn the pilot dial until it says the word pilot. After that, set your temperate knob to low.
What do I do if my water heater won’t light?
If you have a natural or propane gas water heater, chances are the pilot has gone out. If the pilot doesn’t relight, if it goes out right after lighting or if it goes out repeatedly, by far the most common cause is a bad thermocouple.
Can a water heater explode?
Water heater explosions are terrifying, and they can happen. Anything that causes excess pressure on your water heating system, such as a poor anode rod, or a lot of sediment buildup, can all cause your water heater to explode. A gas leak can also cause your water heater to explode because it is a tremendous fire risk.
Can I relight the pilot light by myself?
If your pilot light goes out, your furnace will not be able to produce heat because its burners will not ignite. Often, homeowners can relight the pilot themselves.
Why do pilot lights go out on water heaters?
Some of the most common reasons that water heater pilot lights go out include: A faulty thermocouple. Over time, thermocouples can begin to malfunction and shut off the gas supply to the pilot light even if it’s burning properly. A bent or dirty thermocouple.
How long do water heaters last?
How Long Do Water Heaters Last? Based on the manufacturer’s suggested service life, the life expectancy of a water heater is about eight to 12 years. That varies with the location and design of the unit, quality of installation, maintenance schedule and water quality.
How do you know if you have a bad thermocouple?
If you can’t get the flame to light at all, and you’re sure the gas is on, there’s probably an obstruction in the pilot tube. If the flame lights and goes out when you release the gas control knob after holding it in for the recommended 20 to 30 seconds, that’s the sign of a thermocouple malfunction.
Can you light a pilot light with a lighter?
Yes, it is safe to light a pilot light with a gas lighter. First of all, make sure that your hands or clothes are not in contact with the burner. Then, turn the burner knob to the ‘pilot’ position. Now, keeping the knob in that position, light the pilot light using a gas lighter.
How do you light a hot water heater without an igniter?
Lighting with No Igniter
- Take a long lighter to reach the pilot.
- Remove the plate attached below the dial box.
- Switch Pilot to OFF.
- Wait for a while, – 5-10 minutes until there won’t be any gas.
- Change the temperature to LOW, and switch to Pilot.
- Push ON/OFF dial down, and simultaneously use the lighter.
Where is the pilot light on an electric water heater?
This is typically located under the gas valve, although some models will have an open gap where you can see the pilot light burning. If your water heater does not have an open gap, it is sealed burner assembly. DO NOT attempt to remove the cover.
How do I know if the pilot light is out on my water heater?
No flame where there should be a flame? These are signs the pilot light on your water heater is out. Fortunately, it’s a really easy fix. Signs your pilot light is out
- Your Water is Cold.
- Blinking Light or Error Message.
- You Can’t See the Flame.