- 1 How do you anchor a water heater?
- 2 Do water heaters need to be strapped?
- 3 What states require strapped water heaters?
- 4 How tight should water heater straps be?
- 5 Can you drill into a water heater?
- 6 Do short water heaters need earthquake straps?
- 7 How do you strap a free standing water heater?
- 8 Does FHA require water heater straps?
- 9 Can you shower without a water heater?
- 10 How many straps are required on a 75 gallon water heater?
- 11 How close can a water heater be to the wall?
- 12 Are water heater straps required in Washington?
How do you anchor a water heater?
Secure your water heater.
- There should be very little space between the water heater and the wall.
- Wrap the heavy-gauge metal strapping 1½ times around the tank.
- Secure this strapping to the wall studs or the wood block using several 1/4″ x 3″ or longer lag screws with oversized washers.
Do water heaters need to be strapped?
(1) All water heaters must be strapped, whether gas or electric. (2) Two straps are needed, one in the upper one-third and one in the lower one-third of the fixture. (3) Straps may consist of either plumber’s tape (at least 24 gauge) or half-inch-diameter metal conduit.
What states require strapped water heaters?
In addition to California and Alaska, areas of Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii also fall under the Uniform Codes’ seismic zones 3 and 4, where water heaters are specifically required to be anchored.
How tight should water heater straps be?
The tape should be tight. If the tape is not tight, remove the bolt, place it through the next adjacent 1/4” hole and tighten. If you strap your water heater and fit it with a flexible gas supply line, you will reduce the risk of a fire or explosion from a gas leak after an earthquake.
Can you drill into a water heater?
First ensure that the valve that brings water into your heater is closed. Another method is by drilling a hole on the drain valve hole using a manual drill to prevent electric shock as water will pour out when you enlarge the hole.
Do short water heaters need earthquake straps?
According to California law, all new water heater installations must have these straps as well as all existing ones at the time of property sale. The code specifically requires that water heaters be strapped or anchored to resist horizontal displacement from earthquake motion.
How do you strap a free standing water heater?
Wrap the heavy-gauge metal strapping 1-1/2 times around the tank. Start by placing the strapping at the back of the tank. Bring it to the front and then take it back to the wall. Secure this strapping to the wall studs or the wood block using several 1/4-inch x 3-inch or longer lag screws with oversized washers.
Does FHA require water heater straps?
What does FHA say about water heaters? It’s important to realize FHA does not create or enforce code. FHA simply defers to local code for water heater requirements. Lastly, regardless of whether the water heater is gas or electric, earthquake straps are required in California on standard water heaters.
Can you shower without a water heater?
Warm showers are what keep us relaxed, soothed, and comfortable. To ensure that your water is the right temperature, you need to make sure that you pay attention to your water heater. They’re the workhouse of your plumbing system, and often one of the most underappreciated.
How many straps are required on a 75 gallon water heater?
Use of plumbers tape or EMT conduit is allowed, as long as it is installed per the Guidelines for Earthquake Bracing of Residential Water Heaters, published by the Division of the State Architect. 75 gallon water heaters shall have 3 straps. 100 gallon water heaters shall have 4 straps.
How close can a water heater be to the wall?
Water heaters must be surrounded by a certain amount of clearance, or air space, to function properly and safely. A clearance area of 12 inches is required on all sides of a hot water heater.
Are water heater straps required in Washington?
Water heaters shall be anchored or strapped to resist horizontal displacement due to earthquake motion. Strappings shall be at points within the upper one-third and lower one-third of its vertical dimensions.