- 1 How do you strap a tight space water heater?
- 2 Can you put a hot water heater in a closet?
- 3 What is the code for strapping a water heater?
- 4 How do you strap a water heater in a corner?
- 5 What states require double strapped water heaters?
- 6 What are earthquake straps?
- 7 Is it safe to sleep in a room with a water heater?
- 8 Can you put a tankless gas water heater in a closet?
- 9 Can a water heater touch the wall?
- 10 Does my water heater need straps?
- 11 Is my water heater up to code?
- 12 Do short water heaters need to be strapped?
- 13 Does FHA require water heater straps?
- 14 Are water heater straps required in Washington?
- 15 How do you carry a water heater?
How do you strap a tight space water heater?
Secure your water heater.
- There should be very little space between the water heater and the wall.
- Wrap the heavy-gauge metal strapping 1½ times around the tank.
- Secure this strapping to the wall studs or the wood block using several 1/4″ x 3″ or longer lag screws with oversized washers.
Can you put a hot water heater in a closet?
Water heaters can be installed in bedroom or bathroom closets, if necessary or preferred, but only if they’re an electric, direct vent or sealed combustion chamber unit.
What is the code for strapping a water heater?
California Plumbing Code Section 507.2 requires that all water heaters shall be supported and strapped to prevent movement during an earthquake. Two metal straps, not less than 22 gauge, nor less than 5/8-inch wide shall be used.
How do you strap a water heater in a corner?
Wrap the heavy-gauge metal strapping 1-1/2 times around the tank. Start by placing the strapping at the back of the tank. Bring it to the front and then take it back to the wall. Secure this strapping to the wall studs or the wood block using several 1/4-inch x 3-inch or longer lag screws with oversized washers.
What states require double strapped water heaters?
In addition to California and Alaska, areas of Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii also fall under the Uniform Codes’ seismic zones 3 and 4, where water heaters are specifically required to be anchored.
What are earthquake straps?
Earthquake straps are a must-have if you live anywhere prone to geological activity. They’ll hold heavy items of furniture in place during an earthquake to reduce the risk of damage and injury, and are especially recommended for bookcases, which can deal considerable damage if they topple.
Is it safe to sleep in a room with a water heater?
No. A malfunction of the water heater or flue can allow carbon monoxide to flow into the room and accumulate at a fatal level. It’s odorless, so you would be slowly asphyxiated without knowing what was happening.
Can you put a tankless gas water heater in a closet?
Gas tankless water heaters must not be installed in a room used or designed to be used for sleeping purposes. They must not be installed in clothes closets or in a closet or other confined space opening into a bath or bedroom. No combustion air is derived from the room.
Can a water heater touch the wall?
water heater can sit against wall, but this can restrict air flow so keep stuff away from gas water heater.
Does my water heater need straps?
The State of California requires that all water heaters must be strapped to resist motion during an earthquake. This may be accomplished by installing an over the counter “water heater restraint” kit approved by the Office of State Architect (O.S.A.).
Is my water heater up to code?
In order for a water heater to be up to code there are a few rules that MUST be followed: All water heaters must have a safety pan underneath them which will be piped to the exterior of the home. All gas water heaters shall have a minimum of one inch clearance between the vent pipe and combustible materials.
Do short water heaters need to be strapped?
The state architect’s specifications, published in 1992, stand as the legal criteria for adequate strapping of water heaters in California. (1) All water heaters must be strapped, whether gas or electric. (2) Two straps are needed, one in the upper one-third and one in the lower one-third of the fixture.
Does FHA require water heater straps?
What does FHA say about water heaters? It’s important to realize FHA does not create or enforce code. FHA simply defers to local code for water heater requirements. Lastly, regardless of whether the water heater is gas or electric, earthquake straps are required in California on standard water heaters.
Are water heater straps required in Washington?
Water heaters shall be anchored or strapped to resist horizontal displacement due to earthquake motion. Strappings shall be at points within the upper one-third and lower one-third of its vertical dimensions.
How do you carry a water heater?
It should be securely strapped into an appropriate vehicle when in transport so it cannot move.
- Use the hand truck or dolly to move the hot water heater from the house to the truck, keeping it upright at all times.
- Place the heater into a back corner or wherever it is easiest on your vehicle to strap it securely.