- 1 How do I get my water heater to light?
- 2 Do AO Smith water heaters have a pilot light?
- 3 Can you repair a hot water heater?
- 4 How do you light a RobertShaw pilot light?
- 5 Why does my pilot light keep going out on my hot water heater?
- 6 What are signs that your hot water heater is going out?
- 7 Why is my water heater not igniting?
- 8 How long does it take for the water heater to reset?
- 9 Can I manually light my gas water heater?
- 10 Can a water heater explode?
- 11 What do I do if my pilot light won’t light?
How do I get my water heater to light?
Turn the water heat dial to Low and the On/Off/Pilot dial to Pilot. Then, turn the On/Off/Pilot dial downwards and push the igniter button at the same time. Let go of the igniter button, but keep pressing the Pilot dial downward for around 30 seconds. You should hear a “whoosh” sound when the gas is lit.
Do AO Smith water heaters have a pilot light?
A.O. Smith water heaters, including the Conservationist model, use a modern built-in piezoelectric igniter system that allows you to light the pilot by pushing the ignition button.
Can you repair a hot water heater?
A water heater can certainly be repaired, generally depending on what is going on when a plumber is called out for water heater repair. As per the common problems listed above, the general consensus for these tends to be a parts replacement, a reset of the system, or a flush of your water heater.
How do you light a RobertShaw pilot light?
Lighting a pilot light on RobertShaw and Rodgers-White gas control valves
- Set the thermostat to its lowest settings.
- Put the control knob to the OFF position.
- Wait for a few minutes to clear any gases.
- Turn the gas control knob to the “Pilot” position.
- Depress and hold down the pilot set button or gas control knob.
Why does my pilot light keep going out on my hot water heater?
If the pilot light goes out, the thermocouple senses the drop in temperature and signals for the gas valve to close. If you have a faulty thermocouple is the most common reason that your pilot light is malfunctioning. Over time your water heater will collect dirt, dust and other kinds of debris.
What are signs that your hot water heater is going out?
7 Tell-tale signs of a Water Heater not working
- You don’t have enough hot water.
- You have varying water temperature issues.
- You have a leaking water heater.
- You notice reduced water flow.
- You’re hearing some concerning sounds.
- You have smelly or discolored water.
- Your water heater is on the older end of the spectrum.
Why is my water heater not igniting?
The water heater pilot light is a small flame that ignites the gas burner on your water heater. If the pilot doesn’t relight, if it goes out right after lighting or if it goes out repeatedly, by far the most common cause is a bad thermocouple.
How long does it take for the water heater to reset?
Speed of Recovery A gas water heater will recover in half the time of an electric unit. A 40-gallon gas water heater can recover in about an hour. Recovery for a 40-gallon electric water heater takes about two hours.
Can I manually light my gas water heater?
Lighting the Pilot Light on a Manual Hot Water Heater If your hot water heater is a manual, grab a long lighter. Turn the pilot dial to the off position and wait 5-10 minutes for any gas to dissipate. Then, turn the pilot dial until it says the word pilot. After that, set your temperate knob to low.
Can a water heater explode?
Water heater explosions are terrifying, and they can happen. Anything that causes excess pressure on your water heating system, such as a poor anode rod, or a lot of sediment buildup, can all cause your water heater to explode. A gas leak can also cause your water heater to explode because it is a tremendous fire risk.
What do I do if my pilot light won’t light?
How to Fix Your Pilot Light
- Find your gas valve.
- You need to turn the valve to the off position for at least three minutes.
- Once you have had the valve at off for a few minutes, switch it over to pilot setting.
- You will need a match that is lit.
- Set the pilot valve to the on position.