- 1 How many BTU do I need to heat my garage?
- 2 How do you size a heater for a garage?
- 3 How do I calculate what size heater I need?
- 4 What kind of heater do I need for my garage?
- 5 How many watts does it take to heat a 2 car garage?
- 6 How many square feet will 40000 BTU heat?
- 7 How many square feet will a 5000 watt electric heater heat?
- 8 How many square feet is a typical 2 car garage?
- 9 How many watts do I need to heat a room?
- 10 How can I heat my garage cheaply?
- 11 Do garage heaters use a lot of electricity?
How many BTU do I need to heat my garage?
A basic rule of thumb for forced-air heaters is 45,000 Btu to heat a two- to 2-1/2 car garage, and a 60,000 Btu garage heater for a three-car garage. The makers of low-intensity infrared tube heaters say that 30,000 Btu can heat a two to 2-1/2 car garage, and suggest 50,000 for a three-car garage.
How do you size a heater for a garage?
How to Estimate the Heater Size for a Garage
- Measure the length and width of your garage.
- Check your garage’s insulation.
- Divide your total square footage by 200, and then multiply your answer by 9,000 to determine the BTU requirements for an uninsulated garage.
- Find a heater with a BTU output that matches your results.
How do I calculate what size heater I need?
What Size Heater
- Multiply the length times the width times the height to calculate the volume in cubic feet.
- Multiply the room’s cubic footage by 4 if its walls contain fewer than 3 inches of insulation.
What kind of heater do I need for my garage?
Single-car garages up to 450 square feet should use a heater with 2,000 to 3,000 watts or 6,800 to 9,000 BTUs. Two-car garages between 450–700 square feet need a heater with 3,600 to 7,000 watts or 12,000 to 24,000 BTUs.
How many watts does it take to heat a 2 car garage?
However, an electric garage heater with 3,000 watts is usually needed to heat a 2-car garage. The best gas garage heater for a 2-car garage usually has a rating of about 18,000 BTUs to adequately heat the space.
How many square feet will 40000 BTU heat?
To heat a 2,000 square foot home, you will need approximately 40,000 BTU’s of heating power.
How many square feet will a 5000 watt electric heater heat?
A 1500 watt space heater can heat an area of 150 square feet, and a 5000 watt garage heater can comfortably heat an area of 400 square feet.
How many square feet is a typical 2 car garage?
Two Car Garage Square Feet (Sq Ft) So, as we described above, the average Width of a 2-car garage is around 18ft and the length (depth) is around 20ft. Therefore, the average square footage of 2 car garage is around 18ft X 20ft = 360 Sq Ft.
How many watts do I need to heat a room?
TWO USEFUL FORMULAS Wattage: Multiply the area in feet by 10. For a room 20 feet by 20 feet, we obtain 400 sq. ft., multiplied by 10 to give 4000 watts. The number of watts = area x 10.
How can I heat my garage cheaply?
How to Heat a Garage for Year-Round Use
- Install Better Insulation. The Cheapest Way to Heat Your Garage.
- Hook Up an Electric Space Heater. The Simplest Way to Heat a Garage.
- Fire Up a Combustion Space Heater. The Fastest Way to Heat a Garage.
- Install a Ductless Mini-Split System.
- Add Radiant Heating.
Do garage heaters use a lot of electricity?
Electricity is generally more expensive than gas in most all of North America. If we compare the cost of heating a typical two-car garage, the electric heater can cost as much as 20% more to operate than a vented forced air gas heater and 40% more than a vent-free infrared gas heater. 240 volt power is required.